Thursday, March 20, 2014


EARLY PEPPER ANN DESIGNS



Back before 
Pepper Ann
was 
Disney's 
Pepper Ann
she was a comic strip 
in YM Magazine
(aka Young and Modern Magazine)
(nee Young Miss Magazine)

Shockingly,
the internets don't have no
examples of the strip.
But I can assure you that PA
looked a lot like this guy:

Which isn't shocking since
created both
and
Pepper Ann.

Before Disney,
Sue pitched a
Pepper Ann series to 
Nickelodeon
but they asked for for it to
NOT
look like Fido.

Enter 
Mr. Warburton!

I had been working with Sue on 
Fido Dido stuffs for a long time.
We had similar styles and 
got along sooper good.
So she asked if I'd help
figure out what a
non-Fido 
Pepper Ann 
might look like.

We all know what PA ended up looking like...
but here are some early sketches that
Sue and I kicked around:







It's so fun
looking back at 
old stuff like this!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, great works! I hope will contact with Sue and see original strip of Pepper Ann, please contact me

Bouman

John Varley said...

Can you address the break between fido dido and pepper Ann? I grew up thinking both were cool, why no fido boyfriend for pepper?