Monday, June 1, 2015

THE G:KND EXPERIMENT (part 1)



26,000 people 
is a lot of 
people!

And that's how many have signed a petition 
asking Cartoon Network to make
GALACTIC: KIDS NEXT DOOR
into a real series:



So how'd this thing even start,
anyway?!

Well...

Back in September of 2014
I sent an e-mail to
decommissioned
Codename: Kids Next Door
director and storyboard artist
Guy Moore
(aka Numbuh D-20)


His answer was a resounding
HELLS YEAH
even though he had no idea what 
kind of mess I was about to get him into.

He's fun like that.

This was the start,
of course,
of our grand
GALACTIC: KIDS NEXT DOOR
experiment.

The idea had started much earlier.
We had talked about the idea towards the end of the original show.
And I've gently pitched it to an 
executive at Cartoon Network 
a couple times over the years.
But no one bit at the idea.

So I waited.

And over the years I doodled some stuff here and there.





But eventually I thought...

Why not make a kind of guerilla-style pitch?

Just 
MAKE SOMETHING
and not even say we did it.

See what kind of reaction we get.
And who knows?
Maybe Cartoon Network would get excited.

So I wrote a script.


I sat on it for a long time since
 I was busy with a lot of other stuff.

And then,
after finishing the pitch for a 
new show idea I was working on,
I sent the above e-mail to
Mr. Moore.

Which was kind of like lighting the fuse on a 
SOOPER
GIANT
CREATIVE
HYPER
COOL
ROMAN CANDLE
FULL OF IDEAS!

But instead of running from the explosion,
I stood smack in the middle 
and basked in the delicious heat, light and fire.

Next up:

THE STORYBOARD






10 comments:

BluePrint said...

Wow it is so cool seeing the process behind this. How long was it to write the script?

Unknown said...

Please respond to the letter I sent you and Brian A Miller of Cartoon Network that may crossroad with your ideas. Please!!!

kris689 said...

Wow! I really hope this works out, Tom. Thanks for everything, and making my childhood great. GKND is something I have a lot of passion for, and tried getting as many people as I could to sign the petition. Now all we need is Danny, Maxwell, Genndy and Craig back on Cartoon Network, and get rid of all the bogus stuff on there nowadays.

Mariana =] said...

OH YES, behind the scenes story \o/

pinkandorangesunset said...

I'm spazzing out right now. Holy crud! THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN. I don't see why CN has such a hard time deciding to put this show on or not. It should be a definite yes without any hesitation.

Unknown said...

As an adult know, who grew up watching KND (Actually started watching the show again this week after having surgery like I did when I was a kid), I decided to Google Mr. Warburton.

I am thrilled that I did when I find these blog posts. Hope to see this come back. I always wondered if you would try Galactic Kids, or focus on another team during the same time or just a new generation.

All in all. Good luck!

Unknown said...

As an adult know, who grew up watching KND (Actually started watching the show again this week after having surgery like I did when I was a kid), I decided to Google Mr. Warburton.

I am thrilled that I did when I find these blog posts. Hope to see this come back. I always wondered if you would try Galactic Kids, or focus on another team during the same time or just a new generation.

All in all. Good luck!

Brad baker said...

Why not go for a netflix revival? The original show was super popular so it kinda makes sense

Kevin Bloo said...

With the success of Samurai Jack,theres a possibility adult swim might want it

ipen said...

2018 guys come on