Tuesday, August 31, 2010

INSCRIBINS



"With great power
comes great responsibility...
But a great burger
doesn't always come with great fries."


These are words I try to live (and eat) by.
And while I wouldn't say I have great power...
I happen to have a lot of sooper friends who do.
So I feel it's my responsibility to share their awesomeness...
often at a steep price.

Take for instance my eldest son's school auction that was held last June.
Through a strategically coordinated rapid-fire assault of begging, bribery, dirty tricks, sycophantic flattery, threats of violence and offers of hot tips to great burger joints I managed to get a whole bunch of author/illustrators to donate books that would be inscribed to whomever the winner choosified!

Imagine the smile on your child's face after getting a copy of Kate DiCamillo's THE TALE OF DESPEREAUX inscribed just to them!


Or ponder the love from your significant other after presenting him or her with a personalized copy of ROBOT ZOT signed by former Ambassador of Children's Literature Jon Scieszka and David 'No David' Shannon!

Or OH NO! (or How My Science Project Almost Destroyed the World) by Mac Barnett and Dan Santat?

Yeeeeeeeeeah...

Well, one bidder made it a point to grab not one but FIVE of the eight books that went up for auction and I thought I'd share the inscribed pages here to make you jealous.

LUNCH LADY AND THE SUMMER CAMP SHAKEDOWN by Jarrett J. Krosoczka


TRUCKERY RYHMES by Jon Scieszka


ROBOT ZOT by Jon Scieszka and David Shannon


HUGO AND THE REALLY REALLY REALLY LONG STRING by Bob Boyle


Some book by some jerk



That Emily, Mary and Jake are some lucky kids, right?

But guess what the most awesomest item that got donated was?

No, not the chance to make a 32 course dinner for sooper famous animator/author/underwear model/mecha warrior mr. warburton...
but I like the way you think.

No, the bestest best item that got put up was an advance, unbound copy of Mo Willems' upcoming KNUFFLEBUNNY FREE signed to the person of your choice.



Yup... the winner got to be one of the FIRST to read it before it hits the shelves this September 28th!

With a burger like that who need fries?


No comments: